Dreaming of Namibia
After meeting with Namibia Tourism UK recently in Soho, London, I have had my head in the clouds dreaming of a place I had never heard much about before. I have done nothing but talk about random facts I learnt about this amazing country and about the fact that is naturally growing in popularity with tourists from around the world because of it's rural beauty and wildlife.
You can't deny the picture above makes you drift off into a sort of dazed dream. This picture was taken by my jet setting cousin who has just got back from travelling around Africa and happened to be in the place I was hearing about, on the day I was hearing about it, without me realising it. She has had nothing but praise for both the country and the people in it and I am now desperate to take a trip to see it myself.
Some Facts About Namibia...
• Population: 2,259,000 people (2012)
• Capital: Windhoek, which means “windy corner” in Afrikaans is the country's biggest city with around 322,000 inhabitants.
• Nickname: The Land of the Brave
• Government: Republic, Independent only since 1990
• Independence Day: March 21 (same day as World Down Syndrome Day)
• Language: English, Afrikaans, German and several African languages
• Religion: over 80% Christians (more than half of the people belong to the Evangelical Lutheran Church)
• Currency: 1 Namibian Dollar (NAD)= 100cents
- Namibia is the second least densely populated country on earth, only second to Mongolia.
- Namibia is roughly half the size of Alaska.
- Even if English is the official language in Namibia, many people are more comfortable speaking Afrikaans or German.
- I am going to visit there before I die.
In most areas of Namibia you will see plenty of wild animals, whether you are visiting places in the desert, close to the Atlantic Ocean or in the bushveld you will encounter some of the world's most beautiful and most endangered animals. The Namibian National Parks and Game Reserves are especially good for viewing some the wildlife in Africa and there are plenty of Namibian Wildlife Resorts to chose from in the area.
I was not paid for this review, however I did attend an event and information on the area to provide an honest post about the area's attraction and it's features. Please see the T&C's at the bottom of the page for more information.